The fortified village-perchée of Saint-Paul-de-Vence, beloved of Matisse and Braque, commands the foothills of the Alpes-Maritimes. In an olive grove at its foot nestles a retreat exuding the tranquility of that era. "Our seven country houses," owner Henri Chambon calls his garden villas, offering just 41 guestrooms and 7 suites. Each is decorated in rustic Provençal style, with floral prints and local antiques. One feels the Impressionists have just moved out, or repaired to the attractive spa for restorative hot stone therapy.
Mas de Pierre proves that the resources of a large resort are not necessary to cater to every member of the family. Indeed children are made welcome with special facilities and enchanting gardens to explore in safety.
- Romantic couples
- Families of all ages
- Disabled access
Things to do at the property:
- Wind down to the slow pace of traditional Riviera life over a book
- Cool off in the musical swimming pool with a Picasso fruit cocktail
- Indulge in an outdoor Balinese massage
- Trim those kilos in the hammam, sauna, and whirlpool bath
- Explore the scented gardens and orchards
- Watch the sun set over the St Paul hills with a kir royale.
- Dine al fresco on the Provençal specialities of superchef Michel Rostang
Things to do nearby:
- Wander the cobbled streets of Saint-Paul-de-Vence, visiting antique shops and galleries
- Dine at La Colombe d'Or, its walls hung with works by Miró, Léger and Bonnard.
- Dive down to Cannes for shopping and beach life of unparalleled glamour
- Hike or mountain bike up into the Alpes Maritimes
- Visit the Chapelle du Rosaire in Vence decorated by Matisse
- Play golf on one of several courses of varying standards.
- Visit Fondation Maeght's unique collection of modern art above Saint-Paul
- Request an elegant private pool cabana in advance
- Car service and guides available for visits to Saint-Paul-de-Vence and the Fondation Maeght
- Car hire not recommended in high season due to coastal gridlock
- Reservations at la Colombe d'Or should be made through the hotel well in advance
- The hotel closes for the winter on 31st October