Aix-en-Provence has several epithets. 'Paris of the South' reflects the wide tree-lined boulevards and prominence of Belle Epoque architecture, synonymous with the capital. 'The city of a thousand fountains', the many town squares where café terraces surround trickling fountains. Whatever the title, Aix-en-Provence is a thriving place, where café culture and art are intrinsic to daily life.
Within a few miles of Aix, the Bastide du Val is a seven-bedroom Maison de Maitre, or Manor House, surrounded with 25 acres of olive orchard, lavender fields and cypress trees. The house is well-equipped with leisure features including a 17m swimming pool, tennis court, gym, and table tennis. Additionally, an 18-hole golf course is located a short distance from the house.
- Semi-professional kitchen with cold storage
- Drawing room with fireplace
- All ground floor rooms open onto surrounding gardens and terraces
- Bedroom 1: Master bedroom - 1 King size bed with traditional tomette floor tiling and fireplace; en-suite bath and separate shower
- Bedroom 2: 1 King size bed
- Bedroom 3: 1 Queen size bed
- Bedroom 2 and 3 share a separate bathroom with bath/shower
- Bedroom 4 - 1 King size bed with garden views and fireplace
- Bedroom 5 - 2 Single beds
- Bedroom 4 and 5 share a separate brand new beautiful bathroom with shower
- Bedroom 6 - 1 King size bed
- Bedroom 7 - 2 Single beds
- Bedroom 6 and 7 share a separate bathroom with bath and separate shower
The Gardens: 25 acres of grounds surround the house, comprising largely olive orchards and lavender. Shaded dining terraces surround the house and pool area.
The Views: Extend over olive orchards to the Massif de l'Etoile mountain range on the horizon.
Why we like it: The proximity to one of the jewels of the region, Aix-en-Provence, is special - although the range of outdoor activities available at the house is quite exceptional.