Perivolas Traditional Houses occupy a wonderful spot just back from the beautiful village of Oia, on the lip of Santorini's celebrated caldera. The property is a small hamlet of traditional whitewashed cave-houses which have been converted into superb suites by their owner, Kostis Psychas, who has done a fantastic job conserving the traditional elements of each house whilst transforming them into cool, 21st century chic abodes.
Hotel Perivolas's luxury cave-carved rooms are super-comfortable with mattresses on low, traditional sleeping platforms, with the old wooden window frames preserved to capture the amazing vistas like high-quality modern art. The spectacular swimming pool gently follows the cliff edge and offers stunning views over the Aegean giving a sense of tranquillity and calm.
The gorgeous, curvaceous infinity pool is almost over-photographed, whilst the simple taverna-style restaurant serves creative and delicious Greek dishes with a modern twist. Best of all, Kostis' team of staff is the friendliest and most welcoming group on the island.
Things to do at Perivolas Traditional Houses:
- Sit by the infinity pool and soak up the most stunning views.
- Enjoy lunch and dinner on the lovely terrace overlooking the caldera.
- Take a spa treatment or relax in the sauna orJacuzzi.
- Work out in the fitness centre.
Things to do nearby:
- Stroll into central Oia or down the cliff to the port of Ammoudi to eat fresh fish at Katina's taverna.
- Ask Kostis to take you out in one of his many boats to explore the local islands and do some diving/snorkelling.
- Rent a car and head off to explore the island, to include a visit to the Minoan remains at Akrotiri.
- Charter a boat (sail or motor) and head out into the caldera for some grilled fish in a taverna by the sea.
- Water sports of all sorts.
- Wine-tasting in some of Santorini's unusual and surprisingly good wineries.
- Take a swim from one of Santorini's famous black-sandbeaches.
- Children under 16 are not allowed.
- The rooms and suites are all cave-houses, built into the rock, so windows are all at the front.
- The hotel is closed throughout the winter.