The dramatic mountain scenery, the multitude of beaches around the coast (over 190 if you care to count them all), and the network of underground springs that feed its semi-tropical vegetation keeping it lush and green, has ensured that Elba, unlike some of its more rocky Italian sister islands, continues to have a great allure. Famously, Napoleon, given the choice of a number of islands on which to spend his time in exile after his abdication, chose Elba for the gentleness of its climate and people. Villa Barabarca, with its superb beach access, is located ten miles to the South of the capital Portoferraio close to the village of Capoliveri, on the slopes of Monte Calamita. You may find yourself quickly drawn into the very pleasant routine of venturing up to the village for a morning cappuccino and some pastries purchased from one of the many sweet-smelling bakeries. If you stay for a wander around you will find that Capoliveri is very pretty with two bright, central piazzas teeming with cafés and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. The maze of characterful little streets off the Via Roma are traffic free narrow and steep. Stone archways give way to sudden sunlit piazzas and striking views of the mountains or cobalt blue waters.
The gardens and grounds at Villa Barabarca are beautifully designed, with olive trees, palm trees, orange and lemon trees and a beautiful manicured lawn and wonderful flowers. There are a host of outdoor features that are designed to lend themselves superlatively to holidaying in this part of the world. There is a spectacular chlorine-free infinity swimming pool, 13 x 7m, with outdoor hot shower. Beautifully set up around the pool are high quality loungers and parasols. All overlooks glorious sunsets. There's also an outdoor dining table, with seating for 10-12 guests.
Interiors throughout Villa Barabarca are beautifully designed modern and contemporary style with comfortable sofas and beds throughout. There's A/C only in the dèpendance. The house has complimentary Wi-Fi and a superb 60" flat tv. Bedrooms are equipped with the Bio switch to block any harmful electromagnetic fields and ensure a refreshing sleep
- Living room: seating area with cushioned alcoves for relaxing, french windows open onto lawns, gardens and outdoor living spaces, large wall-mounted flat TV and Hi-Fi, very luminous and with fireplace. Direct access to swimming pool (caution for young children)
- Dining room: part of the living room open space
- Al fresco dining table seats up to 10 people
- Kitchen: Spacious well equipped, also part of the open living space, travertino counter tops, modern and ideal for a culinary challenge or for a team of professional chefs - dishwasher, multiple professional gas hobs, oven, large fridge-freezer, washing machine
- Bedroom 1: Double bed, large French window and gulf view and access to garden, en suite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Bedroom 2: Double bed, glass door and window with gulf view, access to garden, en suite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Bedroom 3: Double bed, large window and gulf view, en suite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Bedroom 4: Bunk bed
The dèpendance accommodates 4 guests on sofa beds in an open plan living space comprising living room, dining and kitchen. It's a bright space with large french windows and garden direct access
- Bedroom 5: two sofa (double) beds, en suite bathroom with shower. Doors open up onto garden