At this restored Finca, an escape-it-all retreat with origins in the 13th century, high up in the Tramuntana mountains, it is not just the olive oil that is organic. Dining is a big part of the experience - the summer season cook (extra - supplement applies if required) can prepare a variety of dishes using produce almost entirely from the estate - lamb, goats, pigs, chickens; a kitchen garden, fruit trees - at Pedruxella life is lived in rhythm with the seasons.
The owners of Pedruxella have done a wonderful job in bringing back to life one of the original 'Posesiones' or great estates on the island, producing a first-class retreat for guests to escape the stress of modern life and discover an alternative side to the island. The air is pure, and the views across the Tramuntana, uplifting; the food is organic and abundant. Beds have deep, comfortable mattresses and high-thread count linens; bathrooms are new, bedrooms are air-conditioned, although mobile phone usage can be intermittent (some may consider this one of the attractions).
Over 250 hectares of land surround the estate, made up largely of olive orchard, Carob trees and Mediterranean Oak. Pathways and hiking routes criss-cross the terraced grounds, where goats and sheep pasture, and 700 years of history dot the landscape. A Moorish Tower, a stone aqueduct, and here and there lime kilns, for burning rocks, used to produce the calcium for whitewashing houses; the centuries are laid bare.
This reconnection with History, and Nature, is at the heart of the Pedruxella experience. Whether it's swimming in the pool, breathing in the mountain air each morning, dinners set out on the cobbled courtyard, assisting and learning on the farm, or feasting on the estate's produce - there is purity and an unavoidable revaluation of priorities here. Just like the tafona, which eschews the immediate and the short cut, Pedruxella enshrines a philosophy: luxury is about authenticity, values and time.
- Country kitchen with central island; gas and electric
- Entrance hall with wood-burner, leading to inner courtyard with bodega, stables and olive press
- Formal dining room
- Drawing room with fireplace
- Bedroom 1: King bed (1m80), en suite bathroom with bath and separate shower
- Bedroom 2: Queen bed (1m60), en suite bathroom (Shared with bedroom 4)
- Bedroom 3: King bed (1m80), en suite bathroom with bath and separate shower
- Bedroom 4: Two single beds (0m90), en suite bathroom (Shared with bedroom 2)
- Bedroom 5: Double bed (1m50), shared bathroom with bedroom 6
- Bedroom 6: Two single beds (0m90), shared bathroom with bedroom 5
- Air-conditioning in all bedrooms as well as the living room, library and kitchen
- Library with office area, leads to terrace
- Large children's playroom with two-four children's beds
Views: Breathtaking country views, give the feeling on being on top of the world a million miles from anywhere.
Why we like it: A chance to reconnect with nature, enjoy the fruits of the land in a spectacular location yet close to a faster pace of life, if desired in Pollensa.