Mombo is largely built around the shade of large mangosteen, fig and ebony trees and overlooks a floodplain on Chief's Island, deep within the Moremi Game Reserve. It is one of the finest luxury safari camps in Africa and its game viewing exceptional. The camp has nine luxuriously furnished tents, each affording sweeping views over the floodplain that teems with wildlife. Each suite comprises of a very large bed draped with a mosquito net, a lounge area, separate open-plan bathroom with indoor and outdoor showers and bathtub with copper and brass fittings. Outside is a large wooden deck from where you can relax on your sala bed and watch the African bush at your own leisure, and a private plunge pool for cooling off after a game drive.
The large main area of the camp has been beautifully furnished with comfortable seating and a reference library. There is a main indoor dining area with a double-sided fireplace that serves gourmet 3-course dinners, with equally as good wine, and there is also a well-stocked bar. Outside, a wooden walkway takes guests to the infinity lap pool, spa and gym, which have beautiful views of the floodplain.
Safari experiences at Mombo are focused on Landcruiser game drives, twice a day, with some of the region’s best trackers and guides - as Moremi Game Reserve is a national park, walking safaris and night drives are not permitted. The area is renowned for its abundance of predators including large lion prides, wild dog packs and solitary leopards and cheetahs. Other animals that occur frequently in the reserve are large herds of buffalo, elephant, hyena, giraffe, wildebeest and zebra. However, the most elusive mammals, and for good reason, are the relocated black and white rhinos that were reintroduced onto Chief’s Island in 2001. These rare species are not searched for by the rangers, but you may be lucky, and one might just cross your path.
THINGS TO DO ON THE RESERVE:
- Sip champagne on your deck, overlooking the plains or take a private bush meal under the stars.
- Enjoy a relaxing spa treatment with the soothing sounds of the bush.
- Enjoy a sundowner picnic in a remote location.
- Work out in the glass gym while viewing the wildlife from inside.
- Relax in the African sun alongside the infinity pool.
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Experience some of the best game viewing in Botswana, particularly for leopard and lion.
- Enjoy daily morning and afternoon game drives in Landcruisers with experienced rangers.
- Get exclusive access to wildlife on the Mombo Island concession.
- Spot some of the rarest animals in Africa; white and black rhinos.
- Be amazed by the amount of plains game that masses around Chief’s Island.
- Take advantage of the open-sided 4x4 vehicles that offer great lines-of-sight for photographers.
- Enjoy some of the country’s best dry-country bird-watching, including some wetland species that are also found on the periphery of the island.