Azura Benguerra makes for a perfect beach addition after a southern African safari and is a honeymooners’ dream. With direct flights from Sabi Sands in South Africa, it is now so easy to combine the best of southern African safari and beach. Guests can feel they have truly escaped the modern world while still having all their needs catered for in this ultimate low-key luxury retreat.
Fresh, African-inspired cuisine is served in a variety of locations including the open-fronted restaurant or on the beach, with regular barbecue nights. You can also treat your loved one to a private dinner in your villa or under the stars on the beach. Good food is very much part of the Azura experience with freshly-caught seafood high on the agenda.
Azura Benguerra sits on one of the most perfect stretches of white sand you will find anywhere in the world. The island of Benguerra lies just off the coast of southern Mozambique, in what is known as the Bazaruto Archipelago, and is very sparsely inhabited, leaving you feeling that you have found your very own castaway paradise.
Each of Azura’s 20 villas has a private plunge pool, fabulous lounging deck and is situated right on the beach with its own pair of luxurious sala and sun beds. The villas are draped in pretty, flowing thatch and decorated in a modern rustic chic style with pops of bright colour complementing the generally muted hues of pale wood and white walls. As well as a generously-sized indoor bathroom, each has outside his and hers showers for when you just can’t miss an opportunity to be in the open air. Villas can sleep from two people up to a family of five or six and your butler-host will be on hand to look after you throughout your stay.
THINGS TO DO AT THE RESORT:
- Enjoy a cocktail while you sample fresh sushi at the beautiful Star Bar
- Talk to the resident marine biologist and learn more about the surrounding area with the local community guide
- Perouse through designer clothes, handmade jewellery and other beautiful artefacts at the boutique store
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Visit the PADI centre dive to catch a glimpse of turtles, dolphins, sharks, moray eels, eagle rays and more
- Above water, sunset dhow sailing is a must on the Azura’s own traditional sailing vessel
- For the more active and adventurous, big game fishing, paddle boarding and whale spotting (in season) are all possible.
- There is no main pool since there really is no need for one. Each villa has a private plunge pool and the warm waters of the Indian Ocean are just a few steps away.