Six Senses Punakha has been designed to blend into the colours and contours of the verdant Punakha Valley - one of the lowest-lying regions in this rugged mountain kingdom. The hillside setting takes full advantage of the extensive views of emerald green rice terraces blanketing the valley, while each of the wooden chalet-like suites is deliberately minimalist to ensure full attention falls on the floor-to-ceiling windows framing the landscape.
This is an excellent base for mountain walks, and expert guides are on hand to lead excursions to local villages, nearby monasteries and bicycle rides through the Himalayan foothills. The fully-equipped spa includes a gym, yoga studio and meditation huts, while the restaurant serves seasonal, local ingredients sourced from the abundance of produce grown in the temperate Punakha Valley.
- Couples & families
- Spa and wellness enthusiasts
- Lovers of culture and the great outdoors
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Restore your balance in the yoga hut looking out over the mountains
- Breakfast on the terrace watching the mist rise over the rice paddies
- Enjoy a refreshing swim in the outdoor pool
- Feast on a poolside BBQ for lunch
- Sample an Ayurvedic warm oil treatment in the spa
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Marvel at the Punakha Dzong, where all Bhutan’s kings were ceremoniously crowned
- Hike to a nearby monastery to join monks for morning prayer and breakfast
- Visit a local family to learn how to make the local spirit Ara