Byakudan, meaning sandalwood in Japanese, is the first impression that greets you on arrival at this idyllic, back-to-nature hotel in Hakone. The second is the spectacular mountain and valley views from the floor-to-ceiling glass windows in the lobby, which doubles up as the restaurant for breakfast, dinner, and matcha afternoon tea. There are 16 rooms which combine international levels of comfort with traditional Japanese design features such as tatami floors and shoji screens. All offer a private onsen bath on the terrace, fed by the purest hot spring waters straight from the source.
A communal onsen with more healing spring waters and a spa complete the wellness offering. When you have had your fill of rest and relaxation, the scenic Hakone Gora Park and Hakone Open Air Museum are both nearby.
- Lovers of nature and tranquillity
- Those seeking wellness and pure relaxation
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL
- Relax in your private, open-air onsen bath, with only the sound of birdsong to interrupt your thoughts
- Unwind with an essential oil massage in the spa
- Admire the panoramic valley views in the dazzling lobby
- Embark upon a culinary journey with Byakudan’s 14-course Kaiseki dinner
THINGS TO DO NEARBY
- Take in views of Mount Fuji and the surrounding Hakone scenery by mountain train, funicular railway and cable car
- Discover Henry Moore sculpture and works from Taro Okamoto and Yasuo Mizui at the Hakone Open Air Museum
- Hike well-preserved sections of the old Tokaido Highway, passing towering cedar forests and ancient villages