The treasures of the old town might be a five-minute tuk-tuk ride away from Belmond's hilltop Luang Prabang hideaway, but spellbinding views of Mount Phousi and endless cloud forest as well as magnificent exotic gardens are ample reward. Pluck a fresh mango from a tree and curl up on an opium bed with a book or bask in the dramatic, freshwater pool that teeters on a cliff's edge.
Indulge in the princely Sip Sen-Lao massage (previously reserved for royalty) at the award-winning Mekong Spa. Or consider an intimate garden dinner for two among the sunburst palms lit by 500 flickering candles - specially crafted Laotian or Western menus feature enticing dishes such as tiger prawns with tamarind and cashew or a palate-reviving hibiscus sorbet.
Rooms are as tastefully furnished as one would expect from the Belmond group, with polished rosewood floors and free-form terrazzo baths, and service is, likewise, characteristically attentive. Archery lessons may await, or a blessing from a local shaman. The alluring Kuang Si Falls, impressive three-tiereds waterfall and azure pools, are just a short drive away and offer some of the most stunning natural landscapes in Laos. Even closer is the UNESCO World Heritage site of Wat Xiengthong, a 16th century Buddhist temple boasting a dazzling golden exterior and exquisite architectural details.
- Couples and families
- Nature lovers
- Spa and wellness enthusiasts
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Marvel at exquisite views from the hotel's breathtaking hillside location
- Cool down in the vertiginous infinity pool
- Indulge in a Lao herbal steam bath and rejuvenating treatment in the award-winning spa
- Dine by candlelight on delectable, slow cooked Laotian specialities
- Discover the secrets of Laotian cuisine on a fascinating outdoor cookery class with the hotel’s executive chef
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Borrow one of the hotel's complimentary bicycles to discover culture-rich Luang Prabang on two wheels
- Discover the spectacular Kuang Si falls
- Delve into life in rural Laos on a traditional farm visit
- Marvel at the exquisite Wat Xianthong temple
- Take a sunset cruise along the Mekong