St Rémy de Provence is unquestionably one of the highlights of Provence. This leafy market town was once occupied by the Romans, and later home to Vincent Van Gogh during some of his most productive years. Within a half-hour stroll of the town’s main square is Mas Cecile, a charming six-bedroom Mas set at the base of Les Alpilles foothills, in a landscape dominated by olive orchard, almond groves and Provencal garrigue.
Over three hectares of grounds are covered with lawn, olive orchard and oleander, with swathes of lavender spilling out from the borders. An outdoor dining terrace off the kitchen is draped in wisteria, gloriously in flower in May and early June.
Facilities include a swimming pool, which can be heated if required, and a tennis court. There’s table tennis, plus a games room with table football and billiards.
Six air-conditioned bedrooms and five modern bathrooms are well-divided across the property to provide a good sense of space and independence. A spacious master bedroom has its own staircase and a small private terrace, overlooking the grounds.
The Provencal décor is soft and homey, with regional tiled floors and air-conditioning for cool summer living. A large country-style kitchen opens directly onto the dining terrace and is perfect for preparing meals with items foraged at St Remy's weekly market.
- Entrance hall
- Living area with open fireplace
- Dining room
- Games room (table tennis, darts, pool table, table football)
- Living room with sound system
- Bedroom 1: Double bedroom with private terrace and shower room
- Bedroom 2: Double bedroom with shower room
- Bedroom 3: Single bedroom with shower room
- Bedroom 4: Master bedroom with private terrace and en suite bathroom with bath and double sinks. Accessible by a private staircase
- Bedrooms 5 & 6: Double bedrooms (can be twin), accessed by a separate staircase
- Bathroom with bath/shower and WC - shared by bedrooms 5 and 6
WHY WE LIKE IT: A spacious and well laid-out Provencal Mas, full of charm and with superb facilities. The proximity to St Rémy de Provence is an excellent bonus.