At last the eastern Peloponnese, drenched in classical history and mythology, has a sublime resort hotel to do it justice. At Amanzo'e the delightful largely local staff encourages guests to explore their land. Winkling clients out of the 38 serene guest pavilions may however take some persuasion, for Aman's master architect Ed Tuttle has applied all the learning from previous projects to this magical realisation of barefoot luxury.
Bedrooms are so spacious, merging into broad private terraces with personal pools, that one could cheerfully stay put, having meals in the shade - as some romantically inclined couples have done. But that would be to miss out on the beachclub and intriguing expeditions to the mountains and islands, particularly fashionable Spetses.
- Honeymooners and hip couples
- Families with teenagers or older children
- Culture vultures
Things to do at the property:
- Infinity pool commanding a panorama of gulf and islands
- Quiet but oh-so-well stocked library in which to escape the midday sun
- Sunset cocktails with savoury Greek canapes
- Sensationally designed spa with seven double treatment rooms using Aman's own beauty products
- Immaculately curated hotel shop offering leather and linen in the best Greek taste
- Play a few sets of tennis on the floodlit courts
- Take yoga lessons on the serene yoga platform
Things to do nearby:
- Visit the isolated mountaintop monastery of St Demetrios with its Byzantine frescos
- Take the hotel boat across to chic Spetses island for shopping and clubbing
- Explore the Venetian and Ottoman-influenced town of Napflion
- Discover tiny chapels carved into living rock at the Didyma caves
- Enjoy a music or theatrical performance at the Ancient Greek amphitheatre of Epidavros
- While nearby Porto Heli has limited appeal there are charming fishing villages in both directions with good seafood tavernas.
- The drive from Athens takes about 3 hours but a helicopter transfer just 35 minutes.
- St Demetrios monastery, the Didyma caves and Napflion are all to the west and can be combined in a one day visit.
- In addition to the hotel's own, water taxis serve Spetses from Porto Heli