The Minoans' loss was Santorini's gain for the volcanic explosion that wiped out their empire left behind an island of such scenic beauty that you can't fail to marvel. Grace Santorini enjoys the very best position on the island, right opposite Skaros rock, looking across the Aegean-filled caldera to the sunset. The hotel's design is very clever, and the rooms are all spacious and filled with high-tech mod-cons, bespoke quality furniture, huge, "monsoon" showers.
The plunge pool on one's terrace is also very welcome. Joseph Gaoutsis, the General Manager, is passionate about his hotel and determined to showcase all that is best about Santorini. His team are exceptionally well-trained and positive too, whilst chef Spiros is a creative whirlwind in the kitchen.
Things to do at the hotel:
- Sit by the infinity pool and soak up the most photogenic of views.
- Look forward to another chance to savour Spiros' inspired culinary creations.
- Potter up to the cocktail bar to try today's expertly-mixed house cocktail.
- Take an in-room spa treatment or work out at the gym.
Things to do nearby:
- Rent a car and head off to explore the island, to include a visit to Oia and the Minoan remains at Akrotiri.
- Charter a boat (sail or motor) and head out into the caldera for some grilled fish in a taverna by the sea.
- Water sports of all sorts.
- Wine-tasting in some of Santorini's unusual and surprisingly good wineries.
- Take a swim from one of Santorini's famous black-sandbeaches.
- Children under 14 are not accepted at the hotel.
- There are lots of steps as the hotel cascades down the steep caldera.
- The hotel is closed throughout the winter.