Iceland’s southeastern shores are a beacon for nature lovers – and with a single glance out of any window at the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon, the reason is quite apparent. Mossy and often snow-capped hills rise in one direction, while atmospherically misty grass plains extend in the other. Spend invigorating days venturing through Vatnajökull National Park to the glaciers at Skaftafell (some of the country’s finest), with more breathtaking valleys and waterfalls to reward ambitious walkers; or the equally close Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon, navigating staggering icebergs and seals.
Behind the hotel’s dark, sloping wood-panelled exterior are brightly lit rooms with a pared-back modern touch, matched by a restaurant that focuses on locally sourced fare. And if the Northern Lights deign to appear after falling asleep? A wake-up call service has it covered.
- Families of all ages
- Outdoor adventurers
- Independently minded travellers
Things to do at the property:
- Have breakfast the Icelandic way
- Relax in the sauna
- Enjoy views of the landscape, from the warm
Things to do nearby:
- Ride through the wilderness
- Meet puffins on the Ingolfshöfði headlands
- Tour the Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon by boat
- Spot wildlife in the Vatnajökull National Park
- Drive along the dramatic coastline
- Marvel at the Hofskirkja turf church