As much boutique hotel as a seventh-generation family-run horse breeding farm, Skálakot is the stuff of the wildest equestrian dreams. Indeed, the undisturbed natural beauty of Iceland's south coast inspires unrestrained adventure - and Skálakot's professional Icelandic horse trainers are consummate guides for beginners and seasoned riders alike.
Guests can venture on any of 100 steeds through the vast mossy lowlands, or up into the rocky Eyjafjöll mountains; skirting volcanoes and waterfalls, wading through lakes or spotting the Westmann Islands beyond. Even more special still are overnight crusades of up to a week, spending most of the day in the saddle and sleeping in huts used by sheep herders.
Back at Skálakot, the 14-bedroom hotel is in fact an extension of the farmhouse the family lives on, with its rooms and suites blending a homely welcome with 20th-century design. Incredible ocean and mountain views – and a feeling of absolute freedom – await.
- Families of all ages
- An escape to the outdoors
Things to do at Skálakot:
- Relax in the steam bath and hot tub
- Try fresh Icelandic fare at the restaurant
- Revel under the Northern Lights or midnight sun
Things to do nearby:
- Fresh water fishing for Arctic char, sea trout or salmon
- Visit black sand beaches
- Swim in geothermal pools
- Venture across magical glaciers on a snowmobile
- Take a helicopter tour for a different perspective
- Swim alongside puffins that dive from the coast
- Drive through lava fields in a Jeep