Arriving at the villa through the atmospheric streets of old Sorrento, one is welcomed by an oasis of fragrant gardens, in extravagant bloom between May and September, and featuring over 1,000 species of plants including rare and exotic flowers. These gardens lend themselves perfectly to leisurely strolls or quiet contemplation, surrounded by fragments from sarcophagi dating back thousands of years, priceless statues, urns and elaborate fountains. The marble-finished pool is bathed in sunlight from morning through to late afternoon, and stone staircases lead to an oceanfront grotto for further cooling afternoon swims.
The interiors of the villa are no less impressive. Salons are elegant and numerous, the sun-dappled terraces are always inviting, and six fully updated suites each boast a full complement of electronics, marble-finished baths, not to mention soaring high ceilings and stunning views. The villa accommodates up to 20 guests in ten en suite bedrooms. For bookings of more than 12 guests, the villa is supplemented with accommodation in La Torre, an independent structure within the grounds of Villa Astor that offers four additional en suite rooms. In addition to ample dining spaces within the villa, al fresco dining options include the botanical gardens under the wisteria shaded pergola, the ocean terrace or the garden terrace with its barbecue and traditional pizza oven.
Though the setting of Villa Astor is very difficult to leave, its location is irresistible for explorations of historic Sorrento. Take morning coffee and stroll with the well-dressed Sorrentines, and discover the classic port of Marina Grande, with its authentic trattorias serving fish and homemade pasta in bungalows on stilts over the water. Trips can be taken by boat, directly from the villa's jetty. Capri, Ischia and Positano are all within easy reach for day trips (boat charter not included in rental).
- Salone Convento: living room for 10+ with doors opening out to the full-length sea facing balcony
- Libreria: intimate living area for two with antiques collection, television and balcony access
- Studio: study with book collection, original tiled floor and balcony access
- Salon: two living areas with double doors opening onto the Dining terrace
- Sala da Pranzo: formal dining room with access to the Dining and Garden Terraces
- Sala Colazione: intimate dining room with doors opening to the Garden Terrace
- Guest bathroom
- Kitchen opening on to the Breakfast Terrace
- Music room with piano, terrace access and dramatic views
- Ocean Terrace for 16 with retractable awning over primary table. Hammock, access to Garden Terrace and waterfront.
- Suite Vesuvio: Master Bedroom (king) with views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples. En suite bathroom with shower and bath tub.
- Sala TV: small living room which can be private to Suite Vesuvio or shared with Suite Damien.
- Suite Damien: Master bedroom (king) with two French doors opening to balconies overlooking the garden and marina. En suite bathroom with shower and tub.
- Suite Cardinale: Entrance vestibule/dressing area. Double bedroom (king) with view to the gardens. En suite bathroom.
- Suite Marrone: Double bedroom (king) with views of Vesuvius and Bay of Naples. Walk-in closet. En suite bathroom.
- Suite Verde: Double bedroom (queen) with views of Marina Grande and the botanical garden. En suite marble bathroom.
- Suite Arancia: Double bedroom (king) with views of Bay of Naples, gardens and Marina Grande. En suite bathroom.
- 360 degree views of the Bay of Naples, Vesuvius, Sorrento and the coast. Spacious sitting area for 12+, and outdoor shower.
- Gym area (elliptical and bench with free weights) with TV, terrace and sitting area for 2-4 overlooking the sea.
WHY WE LIKE IT:
Decadent interiors, magnificent grounds and arresting views from every angle - it is difficult to find a more special place to stay in Amalfi than Villa Astor.