The Grand Hotel Portovenere occupies the pastel-pink former lodgings of the San Francisco Convent, overlooking the quaint harbour beneath. The hotel offers a variety of rooms and suites, many with sea view, whose colours echo the surroundings of sand, stone and sea.
Since the 1st Century BC, the village of Portovenere has been everything from peaceful fishing village to Byzantine base and contested kingdom. Its history and architecture have led to its designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and today pastel-hued shuttered buildings and winding streets are evidence of the village's past. The Grand Hotel Portovenere occupies one such historic building - the pastel-pink former lodgings of the San Francisco Convent - and overlooks the quaint harbour beneath. The hotel rooms vary in size and style, from bright, cosy Classic Rooms with views over the interior courtyard to Executive Rooms with sea view terraces to Suites in the cloisters and overlooking the Gulf and Doria Castle. The suites all have attractive original features such as archways or extensive outdoor terraces. The Palmaria Restaurant serves light, healthy lunches and decadent dinners, but the hotel is just a stone's throw from numerous lively bars and restaurants, so you can take your pick come sundown.
From the Grand Hotel Portovenere, you are perfectly positioned to explore the iconic Cinque Terre, the Gulf of Poets and the region of Liguria including Genoa and La Spezia.
- Couples of all ages
- Those seeking easy access by boat to the Cinque Terre
Things to do at the property:
- Enjoy a drink at Venus Bar, under an impressive vaulted ceiling or out on the terrace in summer
- Try a light bite or a la carte dinner at The Palmaria Restaurant
- Relax on your private terrace and look out over the ancient harbour
- Discover one of Italy’s best kept secrets: the Gulf of Poets and its charming towns
Things to do nearby:
- Head to the hotel's recommended beach, the sporting beach overlooking Palmaria Island
- Charter a boat and sail around the gulf of La Spezia with a private skipper
- Explore the brightly coloured coastal villages of the famous Cinque Terre
- Enjoy long walks along the Liguria's picturesque trails
- Explore the Italian Riviera and visit Portofino, Lerici, or Carrara
- Head into the cities of Genoa and La Spezia