A lively mix of historic buildings, smart boutiques and bustling bars and restaurants, Casco Antiguo is one of Panama City’s most exciting neighbourhoods. Reflecting the area’s rich and varied history, Hotel La Compañia embodies three distinct periods in Panama’s past, with a Spanish Colonial wing dating back to 1688, a French Colonial wing from 1739 and a Beaux-Arts styled American wing from the early 20th-century.
Each wing’s selection of rooms and suites is styled to reflect its history, with walls of exposed quartz in the Spanish Colonial wing and extravagantly moulded ceilings in the French Colonial. Wherever you stay, you will find contemporary four-poster king beds, bathrooms modelled in gleaming marble and breathtaking views over Casco Antiguo or the hotel’s peaceful central courtyard garden.
La Compañia’s food and drink options are as eclectic as its rooms, with seven venues each offering their own unique flavour and ambience. For relaxed refreshments grab freshly-baked pastries and hot coffee at La Panaderia, or sample rustic ‘cucina povera’ Italian dishes at Luigi’s. If you’re in the mood for something a little more formal, sample Spanish and Panamanian dishes in the stunning surroundings of El Santuario, a former monastery with huge stone arches and colourful stained-glass windows. Or immerse yourself in the elegance of 1739, serving contemporary French cuisine beneath a soaring, chandelier-strung ceiling. Finally, end your day with a perfectly prepared cocktail and stunning views across the city at Capella, La Compañia’s chic rooftop bar.
- Urban adventurers
- Lovers of history, culture and design
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Cool down in the afternoon heat with a refreshing dip in the rooftop swimming pool
- Reward weary limbs with a soothing massage in the spa
- Dine in the atmospheric setting of El Santuario, surrounded by the imposing stone arches of the original monastery, or in the exquisitely recreated homage to a 1904 department store
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Discover Panama City’s rich history with the UNESCO-protected Casco Antiguo on the doorstep, or Panama Viejo just a short drive away
- Delve into the modern city's vibrant offering of shops, restaurants and nightlife
- Marvel at one of world's greatest feats of engineering on a partial transit of the Panama Canal
- Visit Frank Gehry's strikingly designed Biomuseo and learn about Panama's natural history