The dramatic journey to Nimmo Bay, which can only be accessed by helicopter or boat, is just the beginning of your adventure. Based at the lodge on Watson Island in the Broughton Archipelago, you can experience all of the joys of the Great Bear Rainforest, including days in the wilderness in search of bears, whales and birds, as well as many adventurous pursuits. The lodge itself has nine cabins in stunning surroundings, with sumptuous furnishings, luxury bathrooms stocked with organic products, Bose speakers and private balconies overlooking the water. Dining at Nimmo Bay is a privilege. Delicious creations featuring fresh, local ingredients from the larder of British Columbia are home-made every day; with a three-course feast served each evening, indoors or outdoors depending on the weather. Central areas include the Floating Fire Deck, for evenings around the fire under a starry night sky, a Games Room with board games, cards and TV, two cedar hot tubs with a rainforest shower, and a fitness room and yoga studio.
- Grizzly bear viewing by boat on the Kakweiken River
- Black bear viewing
- Whale watching - humpbacks as well as resident and transient orcas (best between May and September)
- Explore the area's First Nation cultures alongside an expert guide
- Helicopter adventures to hike along alpine ridges, through meadows and past waterfalls
- Fly-fishing and heli-fly fishing for the more adventurous
- Wildlife excursions to see bears, whales, sea lions, wolves and mountain goats, as well as multifarious birdlife
- Snorkelling, swimming , kayaking, canoeing and paddle boarding
- Rock climbing and rope swinging
- Deserted island picnics
- Yoga classes
- Massages in your room
PRE AND POST SUGGESTIONS
- We recommend spending at least two nights in Vancouver to recover from your long journey and get acclimatised.
- After Nimmo Bay a natural extension is to board the incredible Pacific Yellowfin for a private charter along the Great Bear Rainforest. The boat is like a floating toy shop with motor bikes for bear searching, fishing equipment, giant waterslide, floating trampolines, bikes, kayaks and even a chest dedicated to Nerf water guns!