San Camp is an eco-friendly tented camp situated on the edge of the Ntwetwe Pan, overlooking the Makgadikgadi National Park. Home to the Zu/’hoasi tribe, this remote camp focuses on traditional bushman experiences and close-up encounters with the desert-adapted wildlife, in particular the habituated meerkats. Activities range from two-hour riding safaris - suitable for all levels, bush walks with a Zu/’hoasi guide, night and daytime desert game drives in modified 4x4 vehicles, and some radical quad biking over the salt-crusted pans.
While big game is scarce in the pans there is a large population of resident wildebeest and zebra that increase significantly in size between November to March. While elephant and lion can be seen periodically it is the desert-adapted black-backed jackal, African wildcat and bat-eared fox that are the highlights in this region. If you are lucky you may even spot an aardvark or aardwolf on your night-time game drives.
The accommodation comprises of six beautiful, white Ottoman-style tents that are positioned to make the most of the views across the sprawling salt pans. Each large tent has its own private verandah with a comfy day bed, while inside the design harks back to the 1920’s with its Persian rugs, mahogany furniture, copper-basin en suites and large beds with cool cotton sheets.
The main communal area, with its Arabian Nights-feel, consists of a large white canvas tent and houses a small library and museum, dining and lounge area with comfortable sofas, and a self-service bar. In the evenings enjoy canapes and drinks as the sun sets followed by a delicious dinner, which is a plated affair and is enjoyed around a communal dining table. For those that like to indulge in yoga there is a dedicated pavilion located in a peaceful spot, while swimming can be done in the camp's pool pavilion – though the water can sometimes be a bit fresh.
- Wildlife enthusiasts
- Culture seekers
THINGS TO DO ON THE RESERVE:
- Enjoy candlelit dinners with sumptuous, gourmet food served in the peace of the desert.
- Take a dip in the cooling waters of the swimming pool.
- Spend some contemplative time in the private yoga pavilion.
- Embrace the pared-down elegance of one Africa’s most romantic camps with your partner.
- Be mesmerised by the ethereal beauty of the desert pans at dusk.
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Enjoy day and night-time game drives in custom-built 4x4 vehicles.
- Understand the survival skills of the Zu/’hoasi people and learn about their vast knowledge of animal behaviour and plant species on a bush walk.
- Tear across the desert pans on a quad bike adventure.
- Set out on a dreamy two-hour horse ride across the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans with your professional riding guides.
- Get up close to meerkats on a chilly morning - they may even use your head as a sentry post!
- Learn about Kalahari archaeology and the abundant finds of prehistoric tools.