With just four large marquee-style tents, each with its own plunge pool and shaded verandah, Zarafa effortlessly blends classic safari styling within an informal, but exclusive, setting. Each tent has rug-covered wooden floors, spacious open-plan bathrooms with copper baths, and net-draped king-size beds. A nod to the colonial era can be found in the tent’s large wooden chests and leather furniture while the owner’s penchant for photography is evident with a digital SLR camera, memory card and Swarovski binoculars to be found in every room. For families the Zarafa Dhow Suites is the ultimate private retreat; consisting of two luxury bedrooms in a tented villa and comes with its own private staff and game vehicle.
The riverine environment surrounding Zarafa is a haven for wildlife. From the camp’s decked terrace, overlooking the Zibalianja Lagoon, it is possible to see a magnificent cast of wildlife that includes huge elephant and buffalo herds, a wide variety of antelope species, plus all the big cats and major predators. One of the main advantages of having so few guests is that the camp is able to be flexible with its activities, leaving you to decide on whether to go on a 4x4 game drive, embark on a nocturnal safari, cruise the lagoon on a pontoon, take a game walk, go birdwatching, or try a spot of catch-and-release fishing. The lounge, library, dining room and bar are all under canvas with a large deck, where meals are taken under the stars. Sumptuous 3-course dinners are tailored to individual guest’s tastes, with fine local cuisine being the chef’s speciality. For guests wanting to stay fit there is a Jungle Gym along with an outdoor swimming pool, while in-room massages are also available.
- Wildlife devotees.
THINGS TO DO ON THE RESERVE:
- Sit back and relax on your terrace and watch the elephants cross the seemingly endless floodplain.
- Enjoy gourmet, three-course dinners under the stars.
- Take advantage of the open-air gym and in-room massages.
- Enjoy a sundowner while regaling the day’s highlights with guides and guests.
- Take a post-game drive swim in your private plunge pool.
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Cruise on the Zibadianja Lagoon on the “HMS Zib”
- Explore the Selinda Reserve on 4x4 game vehicles in search of the big cats: leopard, lion and cheetah.
- Enjoy a photographic safari with Land Cruisers specially designed for optimal photography and game visibility.
- Go birdwatching and watch the nearby African skimmers move quickly and lightly over the river’s surface in search of fish.
- Get up close and personal with the smaller animals on a guided walk.
- Take some time off safari and visit the local school and learn about Zarafa’s Conservation Education Program.
- Go out with a resident game researcher to gain a true insight into wildlife conservation in action.
- Spend a night or two out in the bush on a fly-camping expedition.