The vision behind Arijiju, after a painstaking ten years in the planning and construction to guarantee every trifling detail was faultless, was to build a remarkable and enchanting family home, atypical to a classic safari lodge. The collaboration of various world-renowned architects, coveted interior designers and local creative teams has resulted in this magnificent Kenyan home that is like no other.
Etched into the rock bed, Arijiju, with its wild grass roofs and considerate structure, disappears into the landscape akin to a leopard slumped over his chosen branch in a nearby tree. Within, polished concrete and exposed stone walls, stunning in their calming simplicity, allow the oversized chandeliers, sumptuous furniture and opulent trimmings - such as the splendid copper bath tubs and enormous French mirrors - to do the talking. Central to Arijiju is a cloistered courtyard inspired by a 12th century French Abbey, flooded with light that feeds into the sitting rooms and bedrooms that flank it. Outside, you're immersed in Laikipia's wonderfully unpretentious and diverse plains, where nomadic Maasai tribes endlessly shepherd their herds and wildlife roams. Working tirelessly in close alliance with the neighbouring Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, a longstanding frontrunner in rhino conversancy, Arijiju raises funds to support local conservation. Ten years on and with the arrival of 22 black rhinos relocated from other national parks in 2016, this brilliant and ingenious home, a truly special place to discover and explore, is available on an exclusive basis to its discerning guests and is guaranteed to get under your skin.
Three of the suites, including the master suite are situated in the main house flanking the central courtyard, and a further two are found nestled into the olive groves that surround. All are generous in size and have private bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers.
Things to do at Arijiju
- Chill out on a Lamu day bed with occasional dips in the stunning infinity pool
- Unwind in The Retreat - a wonderful sustainably-built wellbeing Spa with gym, treatment room and in-house therapist masseuse
- Enjoy lunch on the reed-covered pool house terrace
- Pre-dinner drinks on the candle-lit roof terrace
- Enjoy health-focused menus to repair and restore body and mind
- Play tennis on the clay court
- Enjoy an evening in the games room and cinema, complete with vast couches and popcorn
- Browse the library in peace
- Practice yoga or meditate in a beautiful chill-out area with calming views across the valley
Things to do locally
- Go off the beaten track on big-five game drives in an open-sided 4X4. Wildlife includes giraffe, buffalo, cheetah, leopard, lion and rhino
- Enjoy a long rambling bush walk or go mountain biking
- Challenge yourself - run the 24km Arijiju Trail - a ranger will keep track for your safety
- Explore the reserve by quad bike or sand bike
- Go for an early morning ride, followed by an exquisite breakfast picnic on the reserve
- Enjoy a long and lazy picnic lunch on the banks of river Ewaso Nyito
- Rappelling down forest waterfalls at the Blue Pools in the Ngare Ndare Forest Reserve. Canopy walks also await exploration
- Explore the snow-covered peaks of Mount Kenya by helicopter
- Cast a fly in the mountain's most remote Lake Michelson and Lake Alice, only accessible by helicopter
- Helicopter adventures over the Samburu Nature Reserve, to Mount Kenya, or Lakes Bogoria and Baringo (extra cost applies)