The second largest of the five islands that make up Mozambique's Bazaruto Archipelago, Benguerra Island is part of a national park of stunning natural beauty. The fine golden sands that fringe the island give way to a more dramatic landscape of unspoilt forests, wetlands and lakes; and the sea here is bursting with life. Throughout your stay you might spot 140 species of bird, and come face-to-face with manta rays, Zambezi sharks, reef sharks, dolphins, turtles and also the only population of rare dugong in Africa. The lodge displays a light and airy design that pays homage to both the island's African and Portuguese heritage.
There are 10 casinhas, two cabanas and one three-bedroom family house lining the sands and shaded by palms. Each is beautifully finished with authentic thatch roofs, luxurious fabrics and hand-built furniture including decadent four-poster beds in the casinhas and cabanas. Folding doors lead out to large wooden verandas and outdoor dining areas just a few steps from the pool and beach. The larger casa is ideal for families or friends, with three en-suite bedrooms and a luxurious private pool.
&Beyond's WILDChild programme aims to allow children beneath the skin of various African destinations, with activities including nature-spotting, traditional crafts and pastimes such as fishing, hunting, and cooking overseen by expert staff.
When you tire of relaxing on the beach or by the pool, there is world-class diving off-shore, as well as the opportunity to charter a dhoni for a serene day sailing the turquoise sea and ride through the very different interior landscape looking out for wildlife. The service is equally fantastic.
- Wildlife lovers
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Take a relaxing dip in the hotel’s swimming pool
- Enjoy Light dishes or hot meals cooked to order throughout the day
- Indulge in a candle-lit seafood dinner on the beach
- Relax with a soothing beachfront spa treatment
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Take to the waves on a sailing, diving or snorkelling trip
- Get closer to Mozambique’s wildlife and culture on a riding safaris or village visit
- Reel in a local catch on a fishing excursion
- Sail the crystalline seas on a dhoni in search of spectacular marine wildlife