Located midway along the famous cliff path at Hermanus, overlooking Walker Bay, The Marine offers the ultimate location for seasonal whale watching, including from the comfort of the sea view bedrooms. For several months of the year, humpback and southern right whales breach just metres from the shoreline. Hermanus is renowned as the best location in the world for land-based whale watching. You may also be fortunate to see pods of dolphins and the elusive Bryde’s whale.
Guest rooms and suites are elegantly decorated with botanical prints and a colour palette inspired by Walker Bay. The rooms with sea views have a comfortable sitting area, perfect for spotting passing whales, and a few of them also have balconies.
Days can be spent wandering the cliff path, exploring the coastal town of Hermanus or enjoying the local, white sand beaches – popular with swimmers and surfers. The Marine has its own heated pool, but below the hotel there is also a public, tidal pool offering bracing saltwater swims with mesmerizing views of the bay.
A buffet breakfast of smoked trout, cold cuts and local cheeses, followed by hot dishes cooked to order, is served in the Pavilion. Origins opens in the evening offering vibrant menus inspired by the seasons. A small plates menu features tapas-style dishes with natural wines and craft beers, while the a la carte menu offers more formal dishes – try the delicious Walker Bay fish curry.
- Marine life lovers.
- Culinary enthusiasts.
- Beach goers.
- Couples and families.
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Admire the stunning ocean views and keep your eyes pealed for passing whales.
- Swim in the heated pool.
- Take a dip in the public tidal pool located beneath the hotel, with mesmerizing views of the bay.
- Enjoy a wholesome buffet breakfast served in the Pavilion.
- Dine at Origins, which offers vibrant, seasonal menus – a small plates menu with tapas-style dishes and an a la carte menu, featuring more formal dishes, including the delicious Walker Bay fish curry.
- Unwind with a cocktail or two or enjoy an afternoon tea at the sun lounge and bar.
- Relax in the Carchele beauty spa and enjoy a treatment.
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Go land-based whale watching in Hermanus.
- Walk along the cliff path.
- Explore the coastal town of Hermanus.
- Visit the local, white sand beaches and take a dip in the sea.
- Enjoy the tastes of the Overberg, visit farmer’s markets and wine estates and try regional dishes and delicious fresh seafood.
- Penguin spotting at Betty’s Bay and Kleinmond.
- Adventurous activities are available in the area, including quad biking, sand boarding, horse riding in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley and Zip lining, great for all family members.
- Go on a boat-based whale watching tour – with Southern Right Charters.
- Visit galleries in the town.
- Discover more about the history of Hermanus and The Marine Hotel.
- Go kayaking in the sea.
- Get a bird’s eye view of the whales and go on a scenic flight over Walker Bay.