The southwest coast of Pemba home to Fundu is characterised by a long sweep of white sand fringed by dense forest. Pemba is known for its unspoilt verdant landscape and vibrant underwater world - and Fundu is perfectly placed to enjoy it. Comprising just 18 hand-built thatch bungalows overlooking the beach, it is peaceful and tranquil, with a lovely combination of hideaway accommodation and easy access to the sea.
Relax and read a book at one of the shady open-air bars, swim in the warm crystal waters at high tide, or relax with an organic spa treatment at Fusion. Alternatively, head out with a PADI certified guide for some of the world's most stunning diving. And if you feel like exploring, you are assured a warm welcome from the island's warm and friendly residents.
Fundu has 18 thatch beachfront bungalows sheltered by tropical trees and connected by jungle pathways. The bungalows are in three categories - Standard, Suites and Superior Suites - increasing in size in that order. All are hand-hewn from local wood and traditional 'makuti' palm thatch. The Standard Bungalows all have wooden terraces and indoor and outdoor seating areas in addition to supremely comfortable beds. Suites are slightly larger, with the addition of a shaded dug-out outdoor seating area and plunge pool. The Superior Suites are strung along the beachfront, with large lounges, decks and private plunge pools opening out to stunning sea views. Interiors are beautiful - with furniture carved from driftwood, sumptuous African textiles and a shabby chic finish. The spacious bathrooms have excellent sun-warmed showers and organic toiletries. Standards and Suites sleep up to three people; while the Superior Suites can sleep four. All rooms can be configured with double or twin beds.
Fundu aims to retain a relaxed and peaceful ambience and therefore welcomes children over the age of 12. The space and privacy afforded by the bungalows and abundance of activities for water babies means that self-sufficient families will be happy here, though there are no dedicated children's services.
WEDDINGS & HONEYMOONS
Discreet and isolated, Fundu makes a lovely spot for an intimate wedding. Ceremonies usually take place on the soft white sands and the team can organise a wedding breakfast at the restaurant or a romantic meal somewhere more private around the resort.
- Fusion Spa using home-made spice blends and oils
- Hilltop infinity pool affording fantastic views
- Relaxed pool bar and lounge
- Games room with pool table
OUT & ABOUT
- East Africa's best diving on surrounding reefs and drop offs
- Watersports including dhoni sailing, canoeing, windsurfing andkayaking
- Look out for green and hawksbill turtles on the beach
- Coastal walks and village visits
WINE & DINE
- Open-sided bars with sea views
- International and Swahili cuisine at the thatched dining room (with vegetarian options)
- Beach barbecues featuring juicy lobster
- Choice of cocktails, South African wines and fresh juices