Maison Polanka is petite boutique retreat oozing peace and privacy, providing a delightfully relaxing base for explorations of Angkor. Dotted through a hidden garden estate, two tastefully restored traditional Khmer villas feature just six colourful suites. Each features an eclectic blend of antiques, native hardwoods and art deco furniture, with wide wooden verandahs overlooking the grounds. Hand picked paintings and photographs from the owner’s private collection line the walls.
As you wake to the chanting of monks from a neighbouring Buddhist monastery, let barefoot days unfurl at Maison Polanka’s pool, surrounded by tropical greenery and a spacious wooden deck. The hotel's striking spa is also well worth a visit, and has employed dried, interlaced palm leaves in its construction. Set in the tranquil orchards surrounding the property, traditional Khmer massage is the speciality here.
The poolside restaurant, Sala, is set in an open-air pavilion and specialises in authentic local delicacies, with many of the ingredients sourced from the hotel's organic gardens. Sala’s chef worked as the owner’s family cook for over 20 years and is happy to offer one-on-one Cambodian cookery classes.
The famous UNESCO World Heritage site of Angkor Wat is the obvious draw of the area, as well as other intriguing ruins such as Wat Bo. Wildlife lovers may also wish to venture to the Kulen Elephant Forest to marvel at one of the region's most iconic inhabitants.
- Culture and history enthusiasts
- Lovers of nature and tranquility
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Indulge in a soothing treatment in the serentity of the spa
- Take a refreshing dip in the sparkling pool
- Feast on delicious local cusine at the poolside restaurant, perhaps delving even deeper with a Cambodian cookery class
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Marvel at the ancient Khmer ruins at UNESCO World Heritage Site of Angkor Wat
- Discover the region's rich wildlife at the Kulen Elephant Forest
- Trek through the verdant Kulen Mountains
- Cycle through Siem Reap’s lush and expansive countryside
- Watch a cultural performance inspired by Khmer music, dance and acrobatics