Set in eight acres of lush gardens interspersed with lemongrass paddies, the luxurious Phum Baitang (meaning ‘green village’) comprises 45 spacious villas, 25 with private terraces and 20 with private plunge pools. The stilted, traditionally-inspired wooden villas are decorated with sophisticated simplicity, adorned with authentic Khmer furniture and providing a tranquil space. One feels transported back to an era of calm, with rural life on the doorstep and where rustic villages and back roads can be explored using the hotel’s complimentary bicycles.
The grounds offer a peaceful escape from busy Siem Reap and thus one can enjoy the best of both worlds with easy access to the Angkor temples and key sights and a tranquil hideaway to return to in the evenings for total relaxation and privacy.
The resort’s two locally-inspired, world class restaurants proffer mouth-watering choices that go far beyond the norm for what is considered typical Khmer cuisine. Bay Phsar, “Rice Market” and Hang Bay, “Rice Shop” both serve delicious meals using fresh organic herbs and vegetables from Phum Baitang’s own gardens.
Days can be spent exploring the countryside on the hotel’s bicycles, learning how to cook Khmer recipes, burning off calories in the olympic-sized infinity pool or relaxing in the Temple Spa with its seven treatment rooms, sauna, steam room and yoga pavilion. Slip back into the colonial era each evening, as you enjoy sundowner cocktails from rattan chairs within the 100-year old Cambodian farmhouse that houses the bar.
- Spa & wellness enthusiasts
- Serenity seekers
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Indulge in a soothing treatment at the hotel’s Spa
- Wake up with the Cambodian wildlife at a sunrise yoga session
- Enjoy sundowners at the Sunset lounge
- Master the secrets of Cambodian cuisine with a fascinating cookery class
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Explore the local area on bicycle
- Become immersed in Cambodia’s rich history with a visit to UNESCO World Heritage site, Angkor
- Visit a local temple for a private water blessing delivered by the resident monk
- Enjoy a breakfast picnic on the waters of Tonlé Sap lake