The multi-tiered, turreted, wedding cake-like RAAS Devigarh is the perfect example of how a heritage hotel doesn't have to be cloying. This is one of the sleekest hotels in India; behind the cascading fountains and romantic courtyards, rooms are contemporary and daringly minimalist, their cooling palettes accented with subtle pops of jewel-bright silk. Restored to its former splendour a decade ago, RAAS Devigarh sits deep in the craggy Aravalli Hills, an hour's drive from the royal-residence filled Udaipur.
Rooms have beautiful balconies or lofty tented terraces with spectacular views of the dusky mountains. Outside, there's a green marble-lined pool, and sandalwood-scented spa from British brand Ila, plus a Himalayan salt cave. Chef Sanjeev Kumar uses seasonal ingredients grown in the organic kitchen garden, and dinner can be taken almost anywhere you like; cosy candlelit nooks, airy courtyards, or the opulent Silver Lounge.
- Couples and romantics
- Those seeking tranquility
- Wellness enthusiasts
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Bask in the sunshine on the pool terrace or treat yourself to a pampering massage in the spa
- Watch the sun set over the Aravalli hills from the terrace of the Kothar Bar
- Embark upon a wellness experience combining yoga, Ayurvedic treatments and tailored cuisine
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Discover the region’s many enchanting temples including Eklingji and Nagda
- Get creative with traditional block printing and embroidery in a local community
- Spend the day uncovering the delights of Udaipur, India’s ‘lake city’