With an unbeatable location right on the Coloba waterfront overlooking the Gateway of India and the Arabian Sea, the Taj Mahal Palace is the undisputed grand dame of the Mumbai hotel scene. With its fabulously eccentric mix of architectural styles, including a gleaming Florentine cupola, the Heritage wing first opened in 1903 and has welcomed a steady stream of international dignitaries and wealthy locals ever since.
Reassuringly grand rooms and suites are works of gothic splendour with their dark wood panelling and heavy drapes - while the more modern Tower block, added in the seventies, houses gleaming light-filled rooms with striking city views. An army of wonderful staff is on hand to mix cocktails at the legendary Harbour Bay bar, pour cups of the finest Darjeeling blend during afternoon tea or point guests in the direction of one of several award-winning restaurants set in the hotel's stately grounds.
- Those seeking to experience a Mumbai icon
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Retreat from the bustle of the city in the rejuvenating spa
- Enjoy afternoon tea admiring sweeping views from the Sea Lounge
- Feast on contemporary Indian cuisine and Mumbai Tiffin at Masala Kraft
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Explore the boutiques and restaurants of Khala Ghoda
- Hop in a rickshaw for a tour of Mumbai's heritage buildings and bustling markets
- Discover the rock carved temples at Elephanta Island