Perched right on the shores of Lake Pichola, arriving at The Oberoi Udaivilas by boat under a shroud of rose petals drifting from the ramparts ranks among the world's greatest hotel entrances. One of India's most spectacular hotels, the palatial 30-acre compound opens up to a maze-like lattice of sandstone corridors and gold-tipped domes, designed to mimic the layout of Udaipur itself. Rooms with pretty cushioned alcoves look out onto private terrace with embroidered parasols and a sensational 240-foot pool, which runs moat-like along the side of the buildings.
There's an ethereal feel to the place; at night, the glass-encrusted Candle Room glows in the moonlight, and royal thali platters are served in the restaurant under a dome painted to mimic the night sky. Staff's attention to detail is unfaltering, extending to turban tying and henna painting classes; while romantic lunches on the lake and sunrise yoga sessions are the perfect tonic after a hectic Rajasthani road trip.
- Couples and romantics
- Lovers of nature and tranquility
- Those seeking a VIP or royal experience
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Enjoy a therapeutic massage in the spa overlooking the lily ponds
- Take a serene boat trip at sunset
- Dine by candlelight on the shores of the lake
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Immerse yourself in the colours and aromas of the grand bazaar
- Marvel at the elaborately carved pagoda of the Jagdish Temple
- Learn to make fine Rajasthani dishes with an acclaimed chef