Set within a proud 15th-century residence that featured in Dutch colonial Galle's lengthy history, Amangalla is located inside the ramparts of the city's UNESCO protected fort. In a previous incarnation, this was the New Oriental Hotel, where passengers passing through on P&O cruise liners would stop off for the night. The Aman group lovingly restored the building to its former glory when they acquired the hotel, adding their signature touches of high-quality interiors, carefully curated local experiences and a first-class spa and wellness offering.
A collection of 28 rooms and suites look out over the harbour or the soaring spires of the Dutch Reformed Church of Groote Kerke, and are furnished with antique Pettagama chests and gleaming teak floors. Afternoon tea on the verandah is an institution at Amangalla, while delectable Sri Lankan and international cuisine is served in the serene setting of the colonial era dining room.
The spa experience, as you would expect, is world-class. Calming treatment rooms and hydrotherapy suites as well as a sleek 21-metre pool can be found within the Baths complex, where the services of the in-house Ayurvedic doctor can also be called upon. Yoga and guided meditation sessions take place within the historic walled gardens. For those who can be tempted away from the confines of Amangalla, a wealth of fascinating activities can be arranged. These include private guided explorations of Galle Fort, tours and tastings at a nearby tea and cinnamon estate and candlelit blessings at historic temples.
- Couples and families
- History lovers
- Spa and wellness enthusiasts
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Retreat to the cooling surroundings of the shaded swimming pool and gardens
- Delve into the soothing haven of the Baths Spa
- Enhance your wellness experience with guided meditation in the gardens, or tailored Ayurvedic treatments
- Enjoy fine afternoon tea with a selection of Ceylon teas or Champagne
- Take your afternoon gin and tonic on the sunset balcony
- Dine on fine Sri Lankan cuisine with the accompaniment of the jazz pianist in the dining room
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Discover the living museum of Galle Fort with a private guide
- Select ingredients from Galle market with Amangalla's chefs and prepare them in a cookery class surrounded by rice paddies
- Take a mesmerising helicopter flight over UNESCO World Heritage Site, Sigiriya Rock
- Engage your senses with a visit to a private tea and cinnamon estate
- Scale the fascinating Yatagala rock temple at dusk and experience a candlelit blessing from the resident monk