Jamaica Inn’s allure has entranced celebrities and the British elite, such as Noel Coward and Winston Churchill, since the 1950s. Located on its own pristine cove to the east of Ochos Rios it is the perfect place for frolicking in the sea. The resort has a very grown up feel to it, partly because no children under the age of ten are allowed but also because of the lack of distractions such as TVs and radios in the rooms. Enjoy your delicious meals at Jamaica Inn Restaurant whether on the terrace, in the restaurant, or with an intimate table on the sand. No matter where you dine, however, it is an elegant affair for which collared shirts and trousers are required.
The Ocean Spa, located on the cliff top at the end of beach, offers a wide variety of natural-ingredient treatments and massages, as well as yoga and Pilates classes. Other activities are also of a traditional nature; enjoy snorkelling, sailing and kayaking, play a round of croquet on one of the sweeping lawns, or perhaps watch a polo match at the St. Ann Polo Club. If all that sounds exhausting then maybe just grab a cocktail and pass an afternoon dozing in a hammock.
The accommodation comes in a variety of styles and sizes and features spacious verandas from which to watch the world go by; whitewashed walls, hardwood furniture and ceiling fans are the order of the day. Deluxe Verandah Suites maximise outdoor living with huge terraces and deep sofas overlooking the secluded beach or Caribbean Sea. While the Cottages have their own outdoor space and private infinity pools. The pick of the rooms is the White House, a three-bedroom villa on its own private mini-peninsula; it’s where Churchill stayed during his visits.
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted and while older children are allowed to stay they do have to be able to entertain themselves. There are plenty of watersports to keep teenagers active but essentially Jamaica Inn is an adult-focused resort that may be a little tranquil for children.
FOR WEDDINGS & HONEYMOONS
Celebrate your honeymoon with a private candlelit dinner on the beach, a bottle of chilled champagne on your veranda overlooking the Caribbean Sea, or pamper yourself with a romantic couples’ massage. For an unforgettable wedding leave everything in the hands of the Jamaica Inn wedding coordinators who will make sure every detail is attended to, leaving you to enjoy your magical day.
- The Ocean Spa at Jamaica Inn
- Exercise room with aerobic equipment and free weights
- Watersports including kayaking, sailing and snorkelling
- Croquet lawn
- Library with TV and computer
OUT & ABOUT
- Watch polo at St. Ann Polo Club
- Enjoy a snorkelling and diving excursion
- Take a boat ride to Dunn’s River
- Picnic at Noel Coward’s Firefly
- River tubing at White River Valley
- Downhill bike riding from the top of Blue Mountain
WINE & DINE
- Dress up for an elegant night of food and music at the Jamaica Inn Restaurant.
- Sample local culinary delights such as Jerk Chicken, Blue Mountain coffee, fresh fish, tropical fruits and a good range of delicious rums.
- Let Teddy the barman make you a cool Planter’s Punch.
- Enjoy Caribbean lobsters on “Saturday Lobster Night”.