The local village of Gordes is one of the most beautiful and dramatic hilltop villages in France. The artists Marc Chagall, Victor Vasarely and André Lhote have all walked through the narrow cobbled streets that zigzag throughout the village, past the stone facades that cling to the hillside. At the centre, you'll find an imposing castle built in 1301, now doubling as Town Hall and museum showcasing the works of the artist Pol Mara. The charm and beauty continue as you follow the curving country roads out of Gordes, past the Bories, curious mortar-free stone structures built in the form of igloos. Carry on towards the romantic Abbey de Sénanques set in a green valley amongst fields of lavender, and the mysterious cellars of Saint-Firmin's Palace.
A beautifully renovated 18th century stone Bergerie using a harmonious blend of materials; 13th century Spanish doors, wooden beams, wrought iron fittings, antiques, all complemented by modern touches like under floor heating, sumptuous linens, and bright modern bathrooms. A luxurious pool house offers a beautifully equipped kitchen with plancha, and lounge area with deep cushions and a stunning view of the Monts du Vaucluse.
- Bedroom 1: King size bed (possible to prepare as twin beds) with en suite bathroom with shower. Private access from terrace.
- Bedroom 2: King size bed (possible to prepare as twin beds) plus a single bed. En suite bathroom with spacious Italian walk-in shower. Private access from terrace.
- Bedroom 3: Master with king size bed and en suite bathroom with shower, bath and double sinks. Private terrace.
- Bedroom 4: Single bed in library with stunning views. Separate bathroom. Ideal for a child.
- Bedroom 5: King size bed (possible twins) and en suite bathroom with shower. View over lavender fields. Direct access to pool and summer kitchen.
Independent Guest House
- Bedroom 6: King size bed (possible twins) and en suite bathroom with bath and shower. Well-equipped kitchenette and dining table. Private terrace with dining area. Separate sitting area with view over lavender fields.
Gardens: 2 hectares of olive groves, sprawling lavender fields and fruit trees.
Views: Dramatic views over the Monts de Vaucluse on one side, and the sensuous Luberon and Alpilles mountains on the other side.
Why we like it: A perfect retreat for family and friends. The pool area is fantastic with its expansive wooden decking, comfortable lounge area with deep cushions and well-equipped summer kitchen.
Location: Ideally situated minutes from Gordes, one of France's most dramatic, attractive villages.