Palazzo Gattini, the ancestral home of the noble Gattini family, is a skilful blend of modern design in a fabulous historic setting. Located in Matera's most exclusive area, the elegant 17th-century residence is the perfect base for exploring the Basilicata region with its beautiful stretches of unspoilt coastline, delicious cuisine, and intriguing history.
Beneath the luxury hotel is the wine bar, situated in the old wine cellars sculpted in the tufa rock, and also a fabulous Spa, created in ancient cisterns where the living rock is clearly visible. From a dining perspective, the Duomo Café and Don Matteo Restaurant offer wonderful sophisticated cuisine with regional Basilicata specialities featuring heavily.
At Palazzo Gattini, there are just 20 spacious, individually designed rooms and suites, each beautifully decorated and furnished with one-off pieces. Suite 210 is the largest and most sumptuous accommodation in the hotel, with its own private pool and spacious terrace with fabulous views.
- Small groups of friends
- Families with older children
Things to do at Palazzo Gattini:
- Enjoy a session in the hotel's impressive spa with indoor pool or in the 'floating room' for total relaxation
- Unwind in the Hammam or Jacuzzi after a day's sightseeing
- Sip a cocktail and take in the views from the terrace of Duomo Café, the only café on the cathedral square
- Savour wonderful dishes from the Basilicata region in the excellent Don Matteo restaurant
- Visit the hotel's prestigious wine bar situated in the old wine cellars beneath the hotel
Things to do nearby:
- Less than 5 minutes' walk to the Sassi di Matera cave dwellings (a UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Explore the ancient Greek ruins at Metaponto
- Drive to the coast for your pick of deserted or lively beaches
- Visit beautiful Basilicata villages such as Castelmezzano and Pietrapertosa sculpted by the force of nature in the Lucan Dolomites