Magnificently restored, Il Mugnello is the resurrection (quite literally) of a ruin, rebuilt over ten years by a Nigerian-Italian designer with a a strong and passionate vision. It stands on the shoulder of Radicondoli, the nearby medieval hilltop town, where one can take a morning coffee walk with the locals or round off the day with a freshly baked pizza. The owner was supported throughout her gargantuan restoration endeavour by the Radicondoli community, and they extend an equally warm welcome to other visitors fortunate enough to be staying at Il Mugnello.
Arrival at the villa - by means of an utterly Tuscan avenue of cypress trees - hints at the splendour of the scenery that awaits. The house faces an unblemished stretch of landscape southwest of Siena called the 'colline metallifere'. Breathtaking sunsets paint the facades orange and highlight the colours and textures of the undulating landscape of farms, woodland and stone villages rising on nearby hills. This outlook can be enjoyed from the delightful grounds of Il Mugnello which are characterised by rolling lawns and fragrant bursts of lavender, rosemary, rose and hydrangea. An outdoor lounge and dining area offer ample and relaxing space to enjoy the views, as does the pool terrace with its sweeping panorama.
Stepping into the house itself, the interiors make an immediate impression with their style, flair and loving attention to detail. Sumptuously dressed beds, gorgeous linens, Frette pool towels, and wonderfully comfortable living areas make you feel instantly at home. Long tables are set for Tuscan feasts, and the layout of all the en suite guest rooms is flexible enough to accommodate any group configuration. These rooms are in fact divided between three separate structures - Casa Isabel, Casa Cristina and Casa Simisola - but you will not be sharing the grounds with any other party. The houses not in use for your group are closed to ensure full privacy and exclusivity. In addition to Radicondoli and the nearby town of Monte Castelli, there are plentiful local attractions to tempt you away from Il Mugnello. Discover the rich surrounding countryside with walking, cycling and riding at Tegoni, visit the impressive medieval village of Chiusdino or take scenic drives to Siena, San Gimignano and the wineries of the Chianti region.
CASA ISABEL - GROUND FLOOR
- Large living room with television, fireplace and access to south terrace
- Dining room open to main kitchen
CASA ISABEL - FIRST FLOOR
- Bedroom 1: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom with bathtub
- Bedroom 2: Queen-sized bed, en suite bathroom with bathtub
CASA ISABEL - TOP FLOOR
- Bedroom 3: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom
- Bedroom 4: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom
- Bedroom 5: Queen-sized bed, en suite bathroom
CASA CRISTINA - GROUND FLOOR
- Living room with television and fireplace
- Open plan kitchen / dining room with access to south terrace
- Guest bathroom
- Bedroom 6: Twin beds, en suite bathroom
- Bedroom 7: Queen-sized bed, en suite bathroom with bathtub
CASA CRISTINA - FIRST FLOOR
- Bedroom 8: King-sized bed, separate living area, en-suite bathroom with bathtub & dual vanity
CASA SIMISOLA - GROUND FLOOR
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Living room
- Bedroom 9: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom
CASA SIMISOLA - FIRST FLOOR
- Bedroom 10 : King or twin beds, en suite bathroom
WHY WE LIKE IT: The setting of Il Mugnello is quite a remarkable one, where the warm and friendly residents of Radicondoli welcome you into their community with open arms. We also love the creative flair of the villa owner, evident from her lengthy and generous restoration effort, all of which combines to make Il Mugnello a truly uplifting base for your time in the Tuscan hills.