From behind Villa Papavero's rustic-red shutters and heavy, handmade farmhouses doors, look out over the wonderful scenery that surrounds this Tuscan house. You'll feel a deep sense of satisfaction that you have navigated yourself deep into the heart of authentic, timeless Tuscany amidst its quintessential castellated villages and rolling hills.
Villa Papavero's lovely, authentic exterior belies its well-conceived modern facilities - spacious bedrooms, en-suite bathrooms with double basins and excellent showers (including one with a bath tub), air-conditioning throughout, a gated, salt water, heated pool and a superb pool house with bathroom and shower and separate outdoor shower, barbecue, kitchen and large covered dining table.
The property has been designed to be energy efficient, using geothermal heating and air-conditioning systems. The pool house has large ceiling to floor glass windows that can be fully opened or indeed closed according to weather conditions and preference. It's also very well equipped with brand new facilities that include a full kitchen set up with hobs, fridge and dishwasher and a large table that can seat up to 16 guests. For those who prefer to steer away from the hob and use a traditional wood oven and BBQ the pool house area also has these features and the BBQ has a grill.
The bedrooms are spacious and well-proportioned - all come with air-conditioning, en-suite bathrooms and nice views with carefully chosen high quality fabrics and colour schemes. The bedrooms are all configured as double rooms, but most can be converted into twin rooms on request. Windows are screened throughout the house so that they can be thrown open in the evenings to let the cool air flow through the house.
The whole area, known as the Valdera, renowned for its delicious wine, olive oil and truffles, is ripe for exploring, with a wonderful clutch of local restaurants to be found in the nearby hilltop villages. Neighbouring Lajatico, home to Andrea Bocelli, springs to life as evening approaches, tables and chairs appearing in the atmospheric little piazza and a local treasure trove of Tuscan recipes with sensational fresh ingredients starts to be served.
One of the region's star attractions is medieval Volterra, within 30 minutes of the villa, commanding its ranks of neighbouring hilltops, perched on ancient ochre-coloured ramparts with a delightful winding, maze of cobblestone streets, historic churches and delicious restaurants, gelateria and cafés.
Inside, the property is set over two floors, the top floor being dedicated to bedrooms.
- Bedroom 1: Kingsize bedroom suite with sitting room area, en suite bathroom with shower, has its own access to a pretty balcony with table and chairs, ideal to enjoy beautiful sunsets. This bedroom is accessed via a beautiful external stone staircase (15steps). This bedroom can also be accessed via one of the double/twin bedrooms, making it ideal as a family suite.
- Bedroom 2: King/ Twin, en-suite bathroom with shower - adjoining to bedroom 1
- Bedroom 3: King/ Twin, en-suite bathroom with bath tub and shower
- Bedroom 4: King/ Twin, en-suite bathroom with shower
- Bedroom 5: King/ Twin, en-suite bathroom with shower
- Bedroom 6: King/ Twin bedroom suite with sitting room area, en-suite bathroom with shower, private covered terrace area (there are also disabled facilities)
- Bedroom 7: King/ Twin, en-suite bathroom with shower, garden access
WHY WE LIKE IT: The pool is perfectly positioned to take in the wonderful Tuscan scenery, surrounded by beds of flowers and herbs, as well as an ample pool terrace with high quality umbrellas and pool loungers. The pool can be heated for shoulder season weeks and has gentle steps and a good shallow end for children. It is also fenced, which makes it much safer for young children and toddlers.