Just like the Salesas district (a little north of Madrid’s tourist hotspots but still central), URSO Hotel & Spa is a stylish boutique destination for cultural connoisseurs. Inside this 20th-century neoclassical palace, 78 fresh, pared-back rooms with modern four-posters – and in the case of the rooftop terrace suites, superb views of the skyline – branch off from marble staircases lined with stained glass windows. Indeed, this hotel does not go sparingly on contemporary chic. To wit, its glass-roofed conservatory dotted with bamboo and living walls, where breakfast is served.
The capital city that waits outside is at once historically rich and still very much evolving. Both designer shops and trendy independent establishments are within walking distance, as are the Jardines del Descubrimiento and Plaza de Colón. And for inexhaustible artistic wonders, Madrid’s world-class museums await.
- Long weekends
- Art and history lovers
Things to do at the property:
- Slip away to the spa
- Taste the restaurant’s twists on traditional Spanish recipes
- Enjoy live jazz in the bar
Things to do nearby:
- Admire Velázquez’s Las Meninas in the Prado museum
- Eat like the locals at tapas restaurants
- Take an after-hours tour of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum
- Browse the gourmet Mercado de San Miguel
- Learn the art of flamenco
- Row around the storied Retiro Park