Villa Mahal is simply breathtaking, with curved white walls tumbling down the hillside towards a vast stretch of blue sea. A seriously stylish, yet relaxed and comfortable boutique hotel, Villa Mahal has been voted Most Romantic Hotel in Europe by Condé Nast Traveller and is included in The Sunday Times Hot 100 -the ultimate list of the best hotels in Europe.
Stylish, relaxed and comfortable with just 13 rooms and suites, this is a hotel full of romantic charm and character with a gorgeous infinity pool and private beach club, with platforms built into the hillside. Villa Mahal is a showcase for the owner Ipek's skilful eye for design. Situated across the bay from Kalkan's main harbour, the waterfront location of Villa Mahal offers stunning panoramic views across the bay towards the town in one direction, and the open sea in the other. This particularly picturesque location caught Ipek's eye when she first came to Kalkan in the 1990s. Here, with her extraordinary vision, she created an award-winning boutique hotel, Villa Mahal, a wonderful haven for the most discerning of travellers. There are just 13 beautifully decorated rooms and suites, all with wonderful views of the sea and bay of Kalkan. The Sunset rooms and suites offer truly panoramic views from their floor-to-ceiling windows. The rooftop terrace and waterfront restaurants serve a variety of local Turkish and Mediterranean dishes, including freshly caught fish, brightly-coloured meze, an amazing selection of local vegetables and succulent meats.
Things to do at the property:
- Swim in the lovely infinity pool and enjoy the stunning views
- Relax with a cool drink by the pool bar
- Treat yourself to a massage in a natural cave
- Wide range of watersports
- Private beach club
- Dinghy sailing
- Dine in the waterfront restaurant or on the panoramic roof terrace, both overlooking the sea
Things to do nearby:
- Take the hotel's complimentary boat shuttle and visit Kalkan harbour, just a few minutes across the bay
- Wander along the winding streets of Kalkan town's atmospheric old quarter with its array of craft shops and enticing restaurants
- Hire a gulet for the day and sail around the tranquil bays
- Walk along part of the Lycian Way, over 330 miles of coasta lfootpath between Antalya and Fethiye
- Head inland to the ancient Lycian city of Tlos, with fascinating ruins, including Acropolis Hill with panoramic views. According to legend, the city was home to Pegasus, the winged horse.
- Visit the riverside town of Dalyan, ascend the river by boat to see impressive ancient Kaunos
- See the glorious sands of Iztuzu beach, one of the last remaining natural nesting sites for Loggerhead sea turtles.
- Visit the extraordinary museum village of Kayaköy
- Enjoy the sight of the spectacular gorge at Saklikent, the second largest in Europe.
- As one might expect at a property built on a hillside, there are a lot of steps between rooms and facilities