Nestled in tropical gardens 400 metres up in the mountains, Chamarel provides a small number of sumptuous lodges and the chance to explore a rugged and unspoilt region.
The 20 individually designed eco-lodges and suites feature original art work, antique furniture, local crafts and authentic woven palm roofs. They are dotted throughout the grounds, with lovely views of the garden's vibrant frangipani, hibiscus and mango trees. In-keeping with the natural, eco-friendly ambience, there are no TVs in the rooms; instead you are encouraged to find a tranquil spot, enjoy a spa treatment or explore nature. The four Sea View Pool suites have the benefit of infinity pools overlooking the coast and are located up a steep hill (but golf carts are provided). The wonderful Exclusive Suite is the cream of the crop - spacious and well-equipped, with mountain and sea views.
Children over the age of eight are welcome at Lakaz Chamarel. The grounds provide ample, safe space for curious little ones, and the rooms sleep up to three people. There is no children's club, but babysitting is offered for a fee.
- Library and sitting rooms with iPod music system, TV books and games
- Two saltwater-treated swimming pools
- Spa offering massage and sauna
- Daily yoga classes as well as private tuition
OUT & ABOUT
- Twice daily shuttle to Le Morne beach
- Chamarel rum distillery for an insight into the island tipple
- Guided hiking and cycling for wonderful landscapes and bird-watching
- Sailing, fishing, dolphin watching and watersports
WINE & DINE
- Watch the birdlife from your table over an alfresco breakfast
- Authentic Mauritian and international dishes at Restauration
- Live music over a candle-lit dinner several times each week
- Help yourself to a Mauritian rum at the bar