Sitting on a large estate, which includes two of Argentina's best polo fields, Estancia La Bamba Areco is one of the country's oldest estancias and has recently been transformed into a boutique hotel. This property is steeped in history and gaucho traditions and exudes the welcoming feel of a private home. Eleven rooms and suites have been beautifully decorated with antique furniture, local textiles and contemporary pieces of art. The rooms, each named after a famous polo horse, have glorious views out over the parkland, shaded terraces, pampa or polo fields.
There is much to do during a stay at La Bamba. Ride out on a horse or carriage, or perhaps swap four legs for two and explore the grounds by mountain bike. One of the country's oldest towns, San Antonio de Areco, is just a short drive away, and is worth a visit to wander its pretty, colonial streets. Make the most of lazier moments by La Bamba's refreshing outdoor pool.
The estancia serves as a base for the international polo team, bearing its name, so during polo season, you may be able to watch a match or observe daily practice sessions. Enjoy the company of fellow guests over a pre-dinner cocktail, before eating together. The asado (barbecue) is at the heart of your dining experience. Expect to find a variety of steaks grilled to perfection, washed down with fine Argentinean wine.
- Lovers of the great outdoors
THINGS TO DO AT THE HOTEL:
- Visit the stables to meet the resident gaucho and learn about traditional ways of life
- Enjoy a laid-back game of Argentinian boules
- Indulge in a hot stone massage in the spa
- Cool off in the large outdoor swimming pool
- Try your hand at an exhilarating polo class
- Restore your balance with a gentle yoga class
- Taste the rich flavours of Argentina at a traditional asado
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Take a tour of San Antonio de Areco, home to the Ricardo Güiraldes Gaucho Museum and traditional artisan workshops
- Go riding through the sweeping expanses of the pampas
- Step back in time on a horse-drawn carriage tour
- Venture further into your surroundings on a mountain biking adventure