Hidden in the mesmerising golden dunes of Wahiba Sands, the Desert Nights Camp is a supremely comfortable place to stay in the Omani desert. With fixed Bedouin-inspired tents where solid walls meet graceful tented roofs, this is not your average camping under canvas - think desert accommodation with a touch of luxury. The air-conditioned tented suites feature private bathrooms, a bedroom under a linen canopy, brightly coloured cushions and rugs, and an Omani-style sit-out with spectacular views of the sands. A selection of one-bedroom villas with private pool are also a recent addition.
Spend your days trekking, dune bashing and quad biking, or visit the oasis at Wadi Bani Khalid for a refreshing swim. In the evenings, an Arabian-style buffet is served with a feast of freshly prepared mezze, salads, barbecued meats and fish, to the soft strains of the drums and oud (Arabian lute). It is also possible to request a private dining experience such as a traditional 'Shuwa,' an Omani lamb barbecue traditionally served around a campfire. After dinner, unwind with a cocktail under a magical night sky, which can be viewed in even more detail through the camp's telescope.
- Couples and families
- Those seeking a comfortable desert adventure
THINGS TO DO AT THE CAMP:
- Take a camel safari through the desert at sunset
- Work up an appetite for lunch with a trek through the dunes
- Ramp up the adrenaline with dune bashing or quad biking
- Dine against a soothing backdrop of Arabian drumming and traditional oud
- Fly down the enormous dunes on a sand board
- Marvel at the unpolluted night sky through the camp’s telescope
THINGS TO DO NEARBY:
- Learn about traditional ways of life with a visit to a Bedouin family home