Your dramatic helicopter arrival at Sheldon Chalet offers a taste of the adventure that awaits during this remarkable stay on a remote Alaskan glacier. Perched on a spectacularly-engineered 'nunatek'. the chalet's five guest rooms can host a maximum of ten guests on an exclusive-hire basis, offering the ultimate in Alaskan wilderness experiences
Wraparound windows in the inviting guest chalets and cosy living spaces showcase the memorable views, and even the sauna offers a picture window looking out to the pristine wilderness. All meals are included in your stay, prepared by Sheldon's world-class chef, and you will have full use of adventure apparel to undertake guided adventures in the 35 square mile Don Sheldon Amphitheater. Your adventure guides will discuss each day's activities with you over breakfast. You may choose to discover the beauty of Ruth Glacier through a guided trek, or simply marvel at the view from the panoramic windows while reading your favourite book. Other activities include Denali-style sledding, crevasse exploration, glacier picnics, and snowshoeing. Each evening, gather around the fireplace for a natural history lecture, or relax in the sauna after a glass of wine.
The cuisine on offer at Sheldon is truly impressive, particularly given the logistical challenges of such a remote location. You may find yourself feasting on delights such as fresh king crab, a rack of bison ribs or barbecued Alaskan oysters washed down with ice cold champagne. Meals are served on enormous handcrafted dining tables in the cosy open kitchen area where you can see chef Dave Thorne working his magic in the background. The open bar is well stocked, and you are strongly encouraged to try the local craft beer from the Denali Brewing Company during your stay.
- Inbound helicopter flightseeing over Ruth Glacier, Great Gorge & Moose's Tooth
- Outbound helicopter flight over Mount Huntington and Denali Base Camp
- Aurora borealis viewing in season
- Star and meteor shower gazing in the observatory
- Warming visits to the sauna with its views of the Denali summit
- Local and natural history lessons
- Mini mountaineering ropes course
- Nunatak exploration
- Historic Mountain House tour
- Glacier treks into the 35 square mile Don Sheldon Amphitheater and Great Gorge
- Gourmet glacier picnic
- Crevasse exploration