This contemporary take on a historic Tuscan farmhouse enjoys a particularly panoramic position in the Val d'Orcia. Captivating views encompass woods, rolling hills, pastures, handsome farmhouses and the ancient hill towns of Pienza, Montalcino, Radicofani and San Quirico d'Orcia. The solar heated pool is set into the edge of the hill to emphasize the panorama even when almost fully submerged. On chilly evenings or spring and autumn weeks, there is a hot tub accommodating eight and warming fireplaces in each of the two living rooms. The villa’s owner is a notable Roman designer who has left her stamp on a series of farmhouses in this locale. Podere Due Scale is warmed with colour-rubbed walls and textiles from hand-loomed linen that feels as soft as cashmere and window drapes knit from twine. Floors, with radiant heating, were created using the ancient ‘coccio pesto’ method from Venice.
There are countless areas indoors and out for curling up with a book or simply taking in the views over a glass of chianti. All the technology you could need is also here; WiFi, air conditioning in all bedrooms, large TV with satellite and English-language movies. Fienile, the restored hay barn set on terrace below house, offers a fully-equipped games room and mini-gym into additional accommodation for up to six guests.
Stepping out on to open terrace one is greeted by Tuscan panoramas from every angle. The house is perfectly placed so that the pergolas, pool, hot tub and terraces take in the best of it all. The large, straw-covered pergola is a fine venue for dining alfresco at the long wooden table accommodating up to 18, or more intimate dining can be enjoyed under the smaller, vine-draped pergola. Open lawns edged by flower and vegetable gardens lead to the infinity pool and hot tub looking out to the Val d'Orcia. When you choose to leave these bucolic surroundings, you will have plenty of choices nearby. Lunch can be taken just up the road in the village of Contignano, rubbing shoulders with locals over paninis and coffee. Pienza and Montepulciano, both around 20 minutes away, offer an appealingly wide range of shopping and dining choices or - when you are in the mood for adventure - take the road up and over Castiglione del Trinoro to Sarteano's historic centre and castle. The classically beautiful gardens and chamber music at La Foce are not to be missed, while the Teatro del Povere in Monticchiello offers a classic taste of summer culture in Tuscany.
For larger groups of up to 38 guests. Podere Due Scale can be rented alongside nearby sister property Villa d'Orcia.
- Large living room with fireplace, opening to sunset patio
- Dining room
- Fully-equipped kitchen opening to patio
- Guest bathroom
- Study (can be closed to become part of Master Suite if preferred)
- Master Suite: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom
- Imperiale: Double bedroom with King-sized bed & en suite bathroom
- Winter living room with fireplace & satellite television
- Tortiglioni: Double bedroom with King-sized bed & walk-in wardrobe. En suite bathroom.
- Nuns: Double bedroom with King-sized or twin beds. En suite bathroom.
- Chinese bedroom: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom with tub
- Loft bedroom: King-sized bed, en suite bathroom with tub
FIENILE - Lower Level:
- Crete: Double bedroom with King-sized or twin beds & large living area. En suite bathroom.
- Cetona: King-sized or twin beds, en suite bathroom
- Radicofani: King-sized or twin beds, en suite bathroom
FIENILE - Upper Level:
- Open-plan games room / gym with windows on three sides opening to traditional open brick-work traforato. Table football, ping pong, bench press, boxing bag and gloves, yoga mats, step machine, Pilates ball. Kitchenette for snacks and drinks. Guest bathroom.
WHY WE LIKE IT: Panoramic views, a classic Tuscan style combined with fully-modernised interiors and attractive spaces for relaxed outdoor livings make Podere Due Scale a winning base for an escape to the Val d’Orcia.