The spacious and well-arranged accommodation played its part too - divided between the main house, a 200-year-old honey-stoned Finca, and three separate cottages, a collection of former farm buildings and cattle sheds renovated into comfortable bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, and in one building, a small gym and games room.
With surprisingly verdant lawns, the 300 acre estate certainly has plenty to keep guests entertained. A gated swimming pool area is positioned some 150m from the main house, and along a dusty track some 15 minutes' walk away steps lead down to a private rocky beach, where crystal waters lap the shores, and picnics can be laid out on the rocks.
There are volleyball nets and ball games, shady reading corners and sunny terraces, and the pretty port of Mahon just 10 minutes away.
But for all the activities, it is inevitably the dining terrace, edged with flickering lanterns and warmed with a lambent fire-pit that draws everyone together in the evenings.
- Kitchen leads to Breakfast terrace
- Bedroom 1: children's twin room with en suite bathroom
- Bedroom 2: double bedroom
- Bedroom 3: double bedroom with en suite bathroom leads to indoor plunge bath (gated)
- Bedroom 4: master bedroom with double bed, en suite bathroom and sea views
- The bedrooms in the main house are not air-conditioned.
- Fitness and Games room
- Bedroom 5: double bedroom with en suite bathroom
- Bedroom 6: bunk beds (sleeps 4 children) with en suite bathroom
- Bedroom 7: double bedroom (can be set-up as a twin) with en suite bathroom
- Please note these rooms are adjacent, but not inter-connecting.
- Bedroom 8: double bed with en suite shower room
COTTAGE 3 (2 km from Main House, available at supplmentary charge)
- Bedroom 9: double bed with en suite shower room
- Bedroom 10: double bed
The Gardens: Verdant lawns surround the accommodation beyond which a pathway leads to the coast.
The Views: The dining and breakfast terraces are located next to the main house with sea views from their raised position.
Why we like it: The team at Binicalaf really make the experience here, attentive but unobtrusive, relaxed and approachable; the setting overlooking the Balearic Sea and easy access to Mahon provide an ideal setting too.